Join us for a special Black History Month screening of Impresa! (2013), a short, silent film on African entrepreneurs in San Francisco. Impresa! is a film about a young woman in San Francisco contemplating starting a business: her own art gallery. She is a first generation Eritrean American, and the perils of her untraditional business venture worry the family. This short film is a light, uplifting look into the ficticious story of one girl abandoning cultural fears and chasing entrepreneurship. But above all, Impresa! is a cinematic time capsule showcasing local, modern stories in San Francisco, exemplifying the power of the present and how many of our Black legacies in the US simply began that way.
Screening to be followed by Q&A with Sephora Woldu (Director)
and Richard Durante (Cinematographer).
About the filmmakers
Sephora Woldu is a self-taught director and general hooligan living in San Francisco, California (USA). She attended the University of California, Los Angeles and graduated with a Bachelor’s of Arts, Women’s Studies in 2010. It was through her Concentration on Women in Media courses at UCLA that she was exposed to screenwriting and first thought about directing. Releasing mixtapes, hosting public lectures (topics ranging from Paul Robeson to German Disco), and writing scripts. Impresa! is her first film and will debut at SFBFFXV.
A Bay Area native and avid cinephile, Richard Alex Durante has been working behind the camera since 2005. His first film was about an orange with no purpose in life, and his current film is about a young woman who’s brimming with it. He also enjoys writing long, meandering bios in the third-person, but would rather take this time to instill some wisdom from his spirit animal, David Was: When you find yourself faced with a challenge that feels as if the walls are closing in – do not panic. Simply take a deep breath and focus your chi. Reach forward into that empty space before you. Open the door. Get on the floor. Everybody walk the dinosaur.
- Letters to Prisoners Workshop
- Domingo 22 de Enero de 2017, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Centro de Alfabetización: Computadoras
- Films for Adults: Pat and Mike
- Lunes 23 de Enero de 2017, 3:00 pmGolden Gate Valley, Golden Gate: Sala de Reuniones
- Daniel Jose Older
- Martes 24 de Enero de 2017, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Celebrating the diverse and beautiful world of Ashley Bryan
- Hasta Martes 28 de Febrero de 2017Biblioteca Central, Centro de Niños
- Envisioning the Classics with Color
- Hasta Jueves 2 de Marzo de 2017Biblioteca Central, Centro Africano Americano