The Cup (Phörpa, 1999)
While the soccer World Cup is being played in France, two young Tibetan refugees arrive at a monastery/boarding school in exile in India. Its atmosphere of serene contemplation is somewhat disrupted by soccer fever. Prevented by various circumstances from seeing the Cup finals on television in a nearby village, the young monks plan to rent a TV set for the monastery. The enterprise becomes a test of solidarity, resourcefulness and friendship for the students, while the Lama, head of the monastery, contemplates the challenges of teaching the word of Buddha in a rapidly changing world. Presented in Dzongkha with English subtitles. Rated G. 93 minutes.
- Movie Time
- Wednesday, July 1, 2015North Beach, North Beach Meeting Room
- Thursdays at Noon film series - The Letter
- Thursday, July 2, 2015Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- First Thursday Movies at Excelsior 2015
- Thursday, July 2, 2015Excelsior, Excelsior Meeting Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.