The Cup (Phörpa, 1999)
While the soccer World Cup is being played in France, two young Tibetan refugees arrive at a monastery/boarding school in exile in India. Its atmosphere of serene contemplation is somewhat disrupted by soccer fever. Prevented by various circumstances from seeing the Cup finals on television in a nearby village, the young monks plan to rent a TV set for the monastery. The enterprise becomes a test of solidarity, resourcefulness and friendship for the students, while the Lama, head of the monastery, contemplates the challenges of teaching the word of Buddha in a rapidly changing world. Presented in Dzongkha with English subtitles. Rated G. 93 minutes.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Thursdays at Noon film series - The Women
- Thursday, September 3, 2015, 12:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Teen Movie: Despicable Me 2
- Thursday, September 3, 2015, 3:00 pmNorth Beach, North Beach Meeting Room
- First Thursday Movies at Excelsior
- Thursday, September 3, 2015, 6:30 pmExcelsior, Excelsior Meeting Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.