The Cup (Phörpa, 1999)
While the soccer World Cup is being played in France, two young Tibetan refugees arrive at a monastery/boarding school in exile in India. Its atmosphere of serene contemplation is somewhat disrupted by soccer fever. Prevented by various circumstances from seeing the Cup finals on television in a nearby village, the young monks plan to rent a TV set for the monastery. The enterprise becomes a test of solidarity, resourcefulness and friendship for the students, while the Lama, head of the monastery, contemplates the challenges of teaching the word of Buddha in a rapidly changing world. Presented in Dzongkha with English subtitles. Rated G. 93 minutes.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Movie: Back to the future
- Sunday, July 24, 2016, 2:00 pmPortola, Portola Meeting Room
- Films for Adults: Ministry of Fear
- Monday, July 25, 2016, 3:00 pmGolden Gate Valley, Golden Gate Valley Meeting Room
- Teen Movie: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 3:00 pmNorth Beach, North Beach Meeting Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.