The Cup (Phörpa, 1999)
While the soccer World Cup is being played in France, two young Tibetan refugees arrive at a monastery/boarding school in exile in India. Its atmosphere of serene contemplation is somewhat disrupted by soccer fever. Prevented by various circumstances from seeing the Cup finals on television in a nearby village, the young monks plan to rent a TV set for the monastery. The enterprise becomes a test of solidarity, resourcefulness and friendship for the students, while the Lama, head of the monastery, contemplates the challenges of teaching the word of Buddha in a rapidly changing world. Presented in Dzongkha with English subtitles. Rated G. 93 minutes.
- Thursdays @ Noon Film -- Modern Times
- Thursday, April 17, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Films About Baseball - Bull Durham (1988)
- Thursday, April 17, 2014Potrero, Potrero Meeting Room
- Teen Movie: 42
- Saturday, April 19, 2014Ortega, Ortega Meeting Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.