The Cup (Phörpa, 1999)
While the soccer World Cup is being played in France, two young Tibetan refugees arrive at a monastery/boarding school in exile in India. Its atmosphere of serene contemplation is somewhat disrupted by soccer fever. Prevented by various circumstances from seeing the Cup finals on television in a nearby village, the young monks plan to rent a TV set for the monastery. The enterprise becomes a test of solidarity, resourcefulness and friendship for the students, while the Lama, head of the monastery, contemplates the challenges of teaching the word of Buddha in a rapidly changing world. Presented in Dzongkha with English subtitles. Rated G. 93 minutes.
- Audio-described Movie Monday
- Monday, January 26, 2015Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Films for Adults: Deception
- Monday, January 26, 2015Golden Gate Valley, Golden Gate Valley Meeting Room
- The Boys of Buchenwald
- Tuesday, January 27, 2015Main Library, Koret Auditorium
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.