The Cup (Phörpa, 1999)
While the soccer World Cup is being played in France, two young Tibetan refugees arrive at a monastery/boarding school in exile in India. Its atmosphere of serene contemplation is somewhat disrupted by soccer fever. Prevented by various circumstances from seeing the Cup finals on television in a nearby village, the young monks plan to rent a TV set for the monastery. The enterprise becomes a test of solidarity, resourcefulness and friendship for the students, while the Lama, head of the monastery, contemplates the challenges of teaching the word of Buddha in a rapidly changing world. Presented in Dzongkha with English subtitles. Rated G. 93 minutes.
- Summer Movie: Up
- Viernes 1 de Julio de 2016, 1:00 pmChinatown, Chinatown: Sala de Reuniones
- First Tuesday Film Nights
- Martes 5 de Julio de 2016, 6:00 pmRichmond, Richmond: Sala de Reuniones
- Thursdays at Noon films - Field of Dreams
- Jueves 7 de Julio de 2016, 12:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
*Patrocinado por los Amigos de la Biblioteca Pública de San Francisco.