Adrian Brooks is a poet, novelist, non-fiction writer, playwright and performer. In the 1960s, he was active in the anti-war protest movement; a volunteer for Martin Luther King; a student at the radical international Friends World Institute and attended Woodstock. During the 1970s, he was in SoHo with Andy Warhol and in the fore of Gay Lib San Francisco culture as a poet, activist, scriptwriter and star of the San Francisco “Angels of Light,” an underground free theater hailed as a major cultural group by the LA “Times” and San Francisco “Chronicle” in 1980, and winner of many Bay Area Theatre’s Circle Critic awards.
He has lived in Europe, Africa, India and Australia, staging multi-media theater performances with the famous “Amsterdam Balloon Company”; giving poetry readings at Shakespeare & Co in Paris; Cambridge University in the UK; at brown cafes in Holland, in AIDS hospices and for men’s groups. A devotee of Ramana Maharshi, he’s offered spiritual counseling on Death Row at San Quentin and continues to write about vanguard counter-culture from the 60s to the present.
This evening Brooks will read some of his poetry and writings about LGBT culture
- Lambda Literary Awards Finalists Reading
- Martes 21 de Abril de 2015Biblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Another Little Piece of My Heart
- Miércoles 22 de Abril de 2015Biblioteca Central, Centro de Gays y Lesbianas
- Celebrate Life
- Sábado 25 de Abril de 2015Biblioteca Central, Centro de Gays y Lesbianas