Adrian Brooks is a poet, novelist, non-fiction writer, playwright and performer. In the 1960s, he was active in the anti-war protest movement; a volunteer for Martin Luther King; a student at the radical international Friends World Institute and attended Woodstock. During the 1970s, he was in SoHo with Andy Warhol and in the fore of Gay Lib San Francisco culture as a poet, activist, scriptwriter and star of the San Francisco “Angels of Light,” an underground free theater hailed as a major cultural group by the LA “Times” and San Francisco “Chronicle” in 1980, and winner of many Bay Area Theatre’s Circle Critic awards.
He has lived in Europe, Africa, India and Australia, staging multi-media theater performances with the famous “Amsterdam Balloon Company”; giving poetry readings at Shakespeare & Co in Paris; Cambridge University in the UK; at brown cafes in Holland, in AIDS hospices and for men’s groups. A devotee of Ramana Maharshi, he’s offered spiritual counseling on Death Row at San Quentin and continues to write about vanguard counter-culture from the 60s to the present.
This evening Brooks will read some of his poetry and writings about LGBT culture
- Still Here: Portraits of Gay Elders
- Sábado 4 de Marzo de 2017, 2:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Centro de Gays y Lesbianas
- Radar Reading Series
- Jueves 23 de Marzo de 2017, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Stuart Timmons, 1957-2017
- Domingo 26 de Marzo de 2017, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Centro de Gays y Lesbianas