Please join Benjamin Railton, PhD, Associate Professor of English and American Studies at Fitchburg State University in Massachusetts, as he talks about and reads from his recent publication, The Chinese Exclusion Act: What It Can Teach Us about America. This provocative study uses the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act to explore two critical strands in American Studies: policy conversations on legal and illegal immigration as well as social and educational conversations on diversity and multiculturalism. At the same time, it highlights stories - such as those of the Angel Island poets and of Yung Wing and the 120 students at his Chinese Educational Mission - that give a hopeful and instructive perspective on the challenges of today.
This author event will be in English only.
- Pink Rice Cooker
- 星期六, 2016年10月22日, 11:00 amWestern Addition 分館, Western Addition 分館會議室
- History of Food Coops: Shanta Sacharoff
- 星期六, 2016年10月22日, 12:00 pmOrtega 分館, Ortega 分館會議室
- Ghosts, Sinners & Secret Places
- 星期六, 2016年10月22日, 2:30 pmPresidio 分館, Presidio 分館會議室