Please join Benjamin Railton, PhD, Associate Professor of English and American Studies at Fitchburg State University in Massachusetts, as he talks about and reads from his recent publication, The Chinese Exclusion Act: What It Can Teach Us about America. This provocative study uses the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act to explore two critical strands in American Studies: policy conversations on legal and illegal immigration as well as social and educational conversations on diversity and multiculturalism. At the same time, it highlights stories - such as those of the Angel Island poets and of Yung Wing and the 120 students at his Chinese Educational Mission - that give a hopeful and instructive perspective on the challenges of today.
This author event will be in English only.
- Author Talk: Working Stiff
- 星期三, 2015年１月28日Ortega 分館, Ortega 分館會議室
- Legendary Locals of the Richmond, Sunset, and Golden Gate Park
- 星期三, 2015年１月28日Sunset 分館, 日落區分館兒童室
- Red Envelope Fish Lantern
- 星期六, 2015年１月31日Merced 分館, Merced 公眾範圍