Whales of August
Not Rated; 90 minutes; 1987
Returning to an old vacation cottage off the coast of Maine where for decades it has been their custom to watch the whales each August, this film tells the story of two elderly sisters on what, we sense, might be their last summer together.
This screening will include an introduction by James Patterson, local writer and friend of Lillian Gish.
As an elementary student, James Patterson saw a 1969 ABC Movie of the Week production of "Arsenic and Old Lace" with Helen Hayes and Lillian Gish as the Brewster sisters. Their friendship soon began with letters, silent films, and events at New York's Museum of Modern Art. Through college, he kept a photo of Lillian from Broken Blossoms above his study desk. He has written of their friendship for the San Francisco Chronicle, Christian Science Monitor and other publications.
- Middle East Heritage Movie
- Martes 27 de Septiembre de 2016, 3:30 pmNorth Beach, North Beach
- The Kite Runner
- Martes 27 de Septiembre de 2016, 4:00 pmPark, Park: Sala de Reuniones
- We The Voters: 20 Films to Watch Before You Vote
- Martes 27 de Septiembre de 2016, 5:30 pmBiblioteca Central, Mix: Carpet Garden