Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Short History of Narrative Cinema
- Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)
- Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 1:30 pmChinatown, Chinatown General Floor Area
- Video Studio: Open House
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 4:00 pmMain Library, Mix: Video - 2nd Fl
- Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 10:30 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room
- Microsoft Excel: Basic Skills
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.