Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, December 22, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Holiday Movie: The Polar Express
- Monday, December 22, 2014Bayview, Bayview Meeting Room
- Movie and Popcorn: Elf
- Tuesday, December 23, 2014Ocean View, Ocean View Meeting Room
- Heart/Mind Meditation
- Tuesday, December 23, 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond Meeting Room
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, December 24, 2014Presidio, Presidio Meeting Room
- Teen Computer Corps
- Sunday, December 28, 2014Ortega, Ortega Meeting Room