Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 10:30 amMain Library, Computer Training Ctr. 5th Floor
- Film Screening of 42: The Jackie Robinson Story
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 5:30 pmMission Bay, Mission Bay Program Room
- Buffalo Soldiers: Their 150th Anniversary
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Sunday, February 14, 2016, 2:00 pmOrtega, Ortega Meeting Room
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room
- Internet 101
- Thursday, February 18, 2016, 2:00 pmChinatown, Chinatown Computer Lab