Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Forks Over Knives
- Saturday, August 29, 2015, 2:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Rob Nilsson Films Month
- Sunday, August 30, 2015, 1:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, August 31, 2015, 10:00 amBernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Teen Computer Corps
- Sunday, August 30, 2015, 2:00 pmOrtega, Ortega Meeting Room
- Basic Computer Class
- Monday, August 31, 2015, 11:00 amWestern Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room