Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
- Orphans of the Genocide
- Wednesday, April 16, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Thursdays @ Noon Film -- Modern Times
- Thursday, April 17, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Films About Baseball - Bull Durham (1988)
- Thursday, April 17, 2014Potrero, Potrero Meeting Room
- Basic Computer Classes for Seniors: The Internet
- Wednesday, April 16, 2014Ocean View, Ocean View Computer Lab
- Tai Chi for Health with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, April 16, 2014Noe Valley/Sally Brunn, Noe Valley Meeting Room
- Tai Chi
- Wednesday, April 16, 2014Portola, Portola Meeting Room