Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
This is a Wise Up! program for learning and living well at any age.
- Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)
- Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 1:30 pmChinatown, Chinatown General Floor Area
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 4:00 pmRichmond, Richmond Meeting Room
- Video Studio: Open House
- Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 4:00 pmMain Library, Mix: Video - 2nd Fl
- CANCELLED-Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 10:30 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Workshop on Social Security
- Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 6:00 pmEureka Valley, Eureka Valley General Floor Area
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room