Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Beyond "Film Noir"
- Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 6:30 pmBernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- West Side Whimsy
- Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- Thursdays at Noon films - Up
- Thursday, August 25, 2016, 12:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 10:30 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Creative Ways of Telling Your Life Story
- Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 1:30 pmMain Library, Learning Studio
- Microsoft Excel: Intermediate/Advanced Skills
- Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 10:00 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.