Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, June 27, 2016, 10:00 amBernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Films for Adults
- Monday, June 27, 2016, 3:00 pmGolden Gate Valley, Golden Gate Valley Meeting Room
- ATA @ SFPL: Experience Reel Cinema
- Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 6:30 pmNoe Valley, Noe Valley Meeting Room
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Sunday, June 26, 2016, 2:00 pmOrtega, Ortega Meeting Room
- AARP Smartphone Workshop
- Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 11:00 amVisitacion Valley, Visitacion Valley Meeting Room
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room