Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
- Preschool Films
- Tuesday, October 21, 2014Western Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room
- Teen Computer Corps
- Wednesday, October 22, 2014Chinatown/Him Mark Lai, Chinatown General Floor Area
- Thursdays @ Noon Film: Blast from the Past
- Thursday, October 23, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, October 22, 2014Presidio, Presidio Meeting Room
- Write Your Will Workshop
- Wednesday, October 22, 2014Ocean View, Ocean View Meeting Room
- Basic Computer Class for Seniors
- Thursday, October 23, 2014Ocean View, Ocean View Computer Lab