Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, March 2, 2015Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Great Books to Great Movies: Death in Venice
- Tuesday, March 3, 2015Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Movie Time
- Wednesday, March 4, 2015North Beach, North Beach Meeting Room
- Staying Engaged for a Lifetime: Library eResources
- Monday, March 2, 2015Main Library, Computer Training Ctr. 5th Floor
- Brain Fitness
- Monday, March 2, 2015Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Senior Tech Time: Spinbots
- Wednesday, March 4, 2015Main Library, Learning Studio