Burt Lancaster stars as J. J. Hunsecker, a Walter Winchell-style columnist who wields his power like a club, steamrolling friends and enemies alike. Tony Curtis co-stars as Sidney Falco, a press agent who'd sell his grandmother to get an item into Hunsecker's popular newspaper column.
Roger Ebert wrote: The two men in "The Sweet Smell of Success" relate to each other like junkyard dogs. One is dominant, and the other is a whipped cur, circling hungrily, his tail between his legs, hoping for a scrap after the big dog has dined. The dynamic between a powerful gossip columnist and a hungry press agent, is seen starkly and without pity.
Don’t miss this true classic, with one of the best villains of all time.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Toy Story - Audio Described Film
- Friday, December 2, 2016, 2:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Anomalisa (2015)
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 6:00 pmRichmond, Richmond Meeting Room
- ATA @ SFPL: Experience Reel Cinema
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 6:30 pmNoe Valley, Noe Valley Meeting Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.