What does the history of Latinos in San Francisco teach us about the value of community history and its role in building a pluralistic democracy? Native Californian and historian, Tomás F. Summers Sandoval, will share from his book, Latinos at the Golden Gate. He will discuss the rise of a diverse community of Latin American migrants in the city, with a focus on the historical moments when a hybrid Latino identity was forged through struggle--latinidad.
Jointly presented by the San Francisco History Center and the International Center. A book sale and signing will follow the presentation.
"San Francisco Panorama" mural by Michael Rios. Photograph © Michael S. Yamashita.
- Buffalo Soldiers: Their 150th Anniversary
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- The Buffalo Soldiers in the West
- Saturday, February 20, 2016, 2:00 pmSunset, Sunset Children's Area
- Rincón Literario
- Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 6:00 pmMain Library, Paley Room - Floor 3
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.