Don Giovanni, by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
'Pyscho meets Seinfeld'
A master seducer - at least in his own mind - fails to seduce anybody. And when he invites a statue to dinner, things simply get worse - he is dragged down by demons to hell. And the remaining characters, self-absorbed as always, barely notice. Enjoy video excerpts featuring the great Cesare Siepi, THE Don Giovanni of the 20th century. Opera San Jose is performing Don Giovanni from April 19 through May 4. Go see the opera with your newfound knowledge!
Opera for the People is a lecture series by Larry Oppenheim designed for both the opera novice and the experienced opera lover. In less than an hour, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of an opera which combines concise commentary with exciting video excerpts. If you are new to opera, you will discover the key anchor points to listen for. If you are an opera veteran, you will come away with new insights and a fresh perspective. And if you plan to attend a performance, your enhanced knowledge should increase your enjoyment!
Larry Oppenheim is president of the Kensington Symphony Orchestra (East Bay), where he is co-principal oboe, and also writes the program notes. Larry’s goal is to make opera more enjoyable and accessible to everyone – including those who may have never gone to an opera.
- Asheba: Musical Storyteller
- Thursday, February 11, 2016, 10:30 amMarina, Marina Childrens' Area
- Bernal Celebrates Black History!
- Saturday, February 13, 2016, 1:30 pmBernal Heights, Bernal Heights General Floor Area
- Hip-Hop Workshop for Kids
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 4:00 pmWestern Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room