Join us for a viewing of Invictus
"In 1994, having been released from his long imprisonment, Nelson Mandela is elected as the first president of post-apartheid South Africa. Racial tension runs high, even in the president's offices, and especially among the members of his half black, half Afrikaner security team. As hosts of the 1995 Rugby World Cup, South Africa's low ranked national team, the Springboks, have a berth in the tournament. Mandela begins makeing public appearances supporting the team, and meets privately with captain Francois Pienaar, encouraging him to inspire his teammates to victory. The Springboks' new slogan is "One team, One nation." President Mandela is betting that if they win the Cup, it might even be a bit true."
- Preschool Films
- Tuesday, October 21, 2014Western Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room
- Thursdays @ Noon Film: Blast from the Past
- Thursday, October 23, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Jeffery Renard Allan Reads
- Thursday, October 23, 2014Main Library, African American Center