Join the Fisher Children's Center, the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library, and the Women's National Book Association/San Francisco Chapter as we present special guest lecturer Yuyi Morales, who will deliver the 18th annual Effie Lee Morris Lecture in Children's Literature, entitled "Creating Children's Books: An Immigrant's Story." Lecture begins at 6 pm in the Main Library's Koret Auditorium, with a book signing to follow. This event free and open to the public.
Author/illustrator Yuyi Morales has drawn on her Mexican-American heritage to create a wide variety of picture books. The winner of a 2014 Pura Belpré Award for Niño Wrestles the World, she divides her time between Mexico and California.
The Effie Lee Morris Lecture is the capstone of a week's worth of events graced by Yuyi Morales. The week also includes:
Saturday, May 31, 12 noon: Yuyi Morales drops by the Main Library Children's Center to help kick off the 2014 Summer Reading Program.
Wednesday, June 4, 10:15 – 11 a.m.: Yuyi Morales leads a read-aloud of Niño Wrestles the World for children and families at the Mission Branch Library, 300 Bartlett St., San Francisco.
Each year, the Effie Lee Morris Lecture features a distinguished guest author or illustrator of children’s books discussing his or her work for the enjoyment of teachers, librarians, scholars, and the book-loving public. The event honors the work of the late Effie Lee Morris, SFPL’s first coordinator of children’s services and a founder of the SF Chapter of the Women’s National Book Association. For more information, call 415-557-4277 or 415-557-4554.
This program is part of ¡VIVA!, the library’s celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place every year from September 15 – October 15.
Summer Read SF 2014: May 31-August 10
Connect to your library, your imagination, and San Francisco.
- VIVA! Sticky Fingers: DIY Duct Tape Crafts
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond Meeting Room
- Children's Crafts: Paper Flowers
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014Merced, Merced General Floor Area
- Puppy Dog Tales with Oliver!
- Wednesday, September 24, 2014Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial, Eureka Valley General Floor Area
- Papel Picado Banners!
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Destiny Arts-Capoira
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014Visitacion Valley, Visitacion Valley Meeting Room
- Zumba Basics
- Friday, September 26, 2014Main Library, Children's Storytelling Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.