The selection of the month is God's Hotel: a Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine by Victoria Sweet. San Francisco's Laguna Honda Hospital is the last almshouse in the country, a descendant of the Hôtel-Dieu (God's hotel) that cared for the sick in the Middle Ages. Ballet dancers and rock musicians, professors and thieves -- "anyone who had fallen, or, often, leapt, onto hard times" and needed extended medical care-ended up here. 2012. 372 pp. (Non-fiction)
The Sunset Book Group usually meets every first Wednesday of the month. Our book choices alternate between fiction and nonfiction every other month.
- Great Books Discussion Group
- Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 6:15 pmNoe Valley, Noe Valley Meeting Room
- Slow Book Society
- Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 6:30 pmMain Library, Sycip Room - Floor 4
- Mother-Daughter Bookgroup
- Thursday, February 11, 2016, 7:00 pmWest Portal, West Portal Children's Area