The selection of the month is God's Hotel: a Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine by Victoria Sweet. San Francisco's Laguna Honda Hospital is the last almshouse in the country, a descendant of the Hôtel-Dieu (God's hotel) that cared for the sick in the Middle Ages. Ballet dancers and rock musicians, professors and thieves -- "anyone who had fallen, or, often, leapt, onto hard times" and needed extended medical care-ended up here. 2012. 372 pp. (Non-fiction)
The Sunset Book Group usually meets every first Wednesday of the month. Our book choices alternate between fiction and nonfiction every other month.
- The Literate Goat
- Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 6:00 pmPotrero, Potrero Meeting Room
- Great Books Reading Group
- Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 6:15 pmSunset, Sunset General Floor Area
- Noe Valley Book Discussion Group
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 7:00 pmNoe Valley, Noe Valley Meeting Room