This 25th-anniversary program features student footage of the demonstrations from April 27 to June 4, 1989.
San Francisco resident Valerie Samson was a student at the Central Conservatory of Music when she witnessed and videotaped six weeks of demonstrations in Beijing. Her video (1.5 hour long) shows the inspired creativity of protesters around the city and at Tiananmen Square. It includes hunger strikers singing the children's song "I Love Beijing, Tiananmen" as well as excerpts of many other performances. As the tanks roll in, chanting voices join together in the darkness. The program will be in English and Mandarin; the video is in Mandarin. Discussion will follow.
- Red Envelope Fish Lantern
- Saturday, January 31, 2015Merced, Merced General Floor Area
- Lion Dancers come to Richmond Branch!
- Saturday, January 31, 2015Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond Children's Area
- Chinese Envelope Craft
- Saturday, January 31, 2015Ortega, Ortega Meeting Room