This 25th-anniversary program features student footage of the demonstrations from April 27 to June 4, 1989.
San Francisco resident Valerie Samson was a student at the Central Conservatory of Music when she witnessed and videotaped six weeks of demonstrations in Beijing. Her video (1.5 hour long) shows the inspired creativity of protesters around the city and at Tiananmen Square. It includes hunger strikers singing the children's song "I Love Beijing, Tiananmen" as well as excerpts of many other performances. As the tanks roll in, chanting voices join together in the darkness. The program will be in English and Mandarin; the video is in Mandarin. Discussion will follow.
- Chinese Book Club
- Saturday, April 1, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Chinese Couplets - a film by Felicia Lowe
- Saturday, April 8, 2017, 2:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Pedestrian Safety Workshop
- Monday, April 24, 2017, 3:00 pmPortola, Portola Meeting Room
- eReader and Tech Drop-In (English & Chinese)
- Wednesday, April 5, 2017, 3:00 pmRichmond, Richmond Meeting Room
- WeChat (instruction in Mandarin)
- Friday, April 7, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Google Photos (in Mandarin)
- Friday, April 28, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B