This 25th-anniversary program features student footage of the demonstrations from April 27 to June 4, 1989.
San Francisco resident Valerie Samson was a student at the Central Conservatory of Music when she witnessed and videotaped six weeks of demonstrations in Beijing. Her video (1.5 hour long) shows the inspired creativity of protesters around the city and at Tiananmen Square. It includes hunger strikers singing the children's song "I Love Beijing, Tiananmen" as well as excerpts of many other performances. As the tanks roll in, chanting voices join together in the darkness. The program will be in English and Mandarin; the video is in Mandarin. Discussion will follow.
- CANCELLED - The Chinese & the Transcontinental Railroad
- Thursday, May 5, 2016, 7:00 pmSunset, Sunset Children's Area
- San Francisco's Chinatown, Then & Now
- Saturday, May 7, 2016, 11:00 amMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- APIA Olympians: Shooting for Gold
- Saturday, May 14, 2016, 10:00 amMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B