This 25th-anniversary program features student footage of the demonstrations from April 27 to June 4, 1989.
San Francisco resident Valerie Samson was a student at the Central Conservatory of Music when she witnessed and videotaped six weeks of demonstrations in Beijing. Her video (1.5 hour long) shows the inspired creativity of protesters around the city and at Tiananmen Square. It includes hunger strikers singing the children's song "I Love Beijing, Tiananmen" as well as excerpts of many other performances. As the tanks roll in, chanting voices join together in the darkness. The program will be in English and Mandarin; the video is in Mandarin. Discussion will follow.
- Red Envelope Lantern Craft
- Saturday, January 21, 2017, 10:30 amMarina, Marina Childrens' Area
- Year of the Rooster
- Saturday, January 21, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Chinese New Year Red Paper Craft
- Saturday, January 21, 2017, 2:30 pmOcean View, Ocean View Meeting Room
- Folding Red Envelope Lantern
- Saturday, January 28, 2017, 10:30 amMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- eReader and Tech Drop-In (English & Chinese)
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 3:00 pmRichmond, Richmond Meeting Room
- Screen Time Presents eLearning with Flipster!
- Friday, February 3, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.