Eight Men Out
119 min. PG 1988
This dramatization of the most infamous episode in professional sports -- the fix of the 1919 World Series -- is considered by many to be among the best the best baseball movie ever made. This adaptation of Eliot Asinof's definitive study of the scandal shows how athletes of another era were a different breed from the well-paid stars of later years. The Chicago White Sox owner, Charlie Comiskey, is portrayed as a skinflint with little inclination to reward his team for their spectacular season. When a gambling syndicate led by Arnold Rothstein gets wind of the players' discontent, it offers a select group of stars more money to play badly than they would have earned to try to win the Series.
Thursdays @ Noon Films are held in the Koret Auditorium.
- Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
- 星期六, 2014年12月20日Western Addition 分館, Western Addition 分館會議室
- Holiday Movie: The Polar Express
- 星期一, 2014年12月22日Bayview 分館, Bayview 會議室
- Movie and Popcorn: Elf
- 星期二, 2014年12月23日Ocean View 分館, Ocean View 分館會議室