Film maker Sam Stoker's film focuses on March 21, 2009, when a shoot-out between a young man named Lovelle Mixon and members of the Oakland Police Department resulted in the death of Mixon and four Oakland police officers. This documentary seeks to challenge the mainstream narrative of the shoot-out and shed light on the nature of racism in the contemporary United States.
Film maker will hold Q&A after the showing.
- Black History Month Scavenger Hunt
- Thursday, February 23, 2017, 8:00 amBayview, Bayview General Floor Area
- Thursdays at Noon films - Ali
- Thursday, February 23, 2017, 12:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Play the African counting game Mancala
- Thursday, February 23, 2017, 3:00 pmMission, Mission Teen's Area
- Celebrating the diverse and beautiful world of Ashley Bryan
- Through Tuesday, February 28, 2017Main Library, Children's Center Exhibit Space
- Envisioning the Classics with Color
- Through Thursday, March 2, 2017Main Library, African American Center