San Francisco Public Library and the SF Arts Commission have teamed up in March 2014 to present a celebration of women artists in the city.
- Every Friday in March, come by the Music Center on the 4th Floor of the Main Library from 1-3pm to see a different local street artist creating her art, live and in person. All the artists are part of the SF Arts Commission Street Artists Program. Schedule and bios below.
- Photographs and information featuring original Art in Action female artists, which took place at the Golden Gate International Exposition in 1940, will be on display in the Art, Music and Recreation Department on the 4th Floor.
- And follow us on Instagram (@sfpubliclibrary) to see Art of the Walk: An Instagram Tour of Art by Women in San Francisco featuring a different work every day in March.
Art in Action Schedule:
March 7: Kathy Hallinan
Kathy Hallinan learned her leathercraft from her mother, one of the original street artists in San Francisco. She dyes, patterns, punches and cuts her own leather to create beautiful, handmade baby booties, hair clips, bracelets and more. She has been designing and selling her leathercraft items for over 40 years.
March 14: Mara Murray
Mara Murray started designing her own unique hand-made ZOOMEEZ animals, dolls, pillows and accessories in 2008. To create her artwork, she uses colorful fabrics, recycled jeans, and trims. Each ZOOMEEZ has its own personality and spirit; a one of a kind creation for the inner child in us all.
March 21: Jenifer Martinez
Jenifer Martinez and partner Stan Chiao work together to create a line of whimsical tshirts featuring Jen's original cartoon stick figure artwork. The tshirts are sold side-by-side with their unique line of Steampunk jewelry made from stainless steel chainmaille accented with recycled keys, clock parts and recycled materials.
March 28: Simone Guimaraes
Simone Guimaraes creates her artwork in a very organic style by using different media, bright, exciting colors and upcycled items. Her cat paintings are created using recycled San Francisco maps and acrylic paint. Each one tells its own story and finds their new owner, with a smile, all over the world. That is what her artwork is all about!
- Thursdays at Noon film series - Cheaper By the Dozen
- Jueves 5 de Marzo de 2015
- Thursdays at Noon film series - The King and I
- Jueves 12 de Marzo de 2015
- Thursdays at Noon film series - Coal Miner's Daughter
- Jueves 19 de Marzo de 2015