Discover new stories in the stacks of the San Francisco Main Library through the artistic interpretation of Chimurenga, a Cape Town-based collective that focuses on writing, art and ideas about Pan-African history and culture.
Through displays and clues, including signage, book tags, video, audio and tape, viewers are invited to explore the library to make new connections and discoveries. The installation is inspired by the participation of African American artists, writers, and performers in Pan-African festivals of the 1960s and 1970s, in particular FESTAC ’77, which took place in Lagos, Nigeria in 1977.
In addition to publishing, music, and Internet radio ventures, Chimurenga has created interventions in libraries ranging from the large City of Cape Town library to the small Keleketla community library in Johannesburg.
This interactive installation is co-presented by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts as part of the Public Intimacy exhibition at YBCA until June 29, and as part of SFMOMA On The Go: Live Projects 4.
Follow the project Tumbr: http://chimurengalibrary.tumblr.com/
- A Palestinian Poetry & Music Event
- Martes 25 de Octubre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- AfroSolo Artists Talk
- Miércoles 2 de Noviembre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Letters to Prisoners Workshop
- Domingo 13 de Noviembre de 2016, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Centro Chino
- Home Away from Home:
- Hasta Domingo 27 de Noviembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Galería Jewett
- Black Matters Exhibit
- Hasta Jueves 15 de Diciembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Centro Africano Americano
- Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here:
- Hasta Domingo 1 de Enero de 2017Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight