1:00 p.m. Cooking Demonstration with Adriana Lahl of Sal de Vida Gourmet, a La Cocina Incubator Business.
Learn how to make original Mexican masa creations like quesadillas, tlacoyos, sopes, and embedded flower tortillas and join us for an explanation of why 5 de Mayo is also an American holiday. Adriana is also co-author of Celebraciones Mexicanas: History, Traditions and Recipes. Her book will be available for purchase following the demonstration.
La Cocina is a groundbreaking business incubator located in San Francisco's Mission district designed to reduce the obstacles that prevent low-income food entrepreneurs from creating successful and sustainable small businesses.
2:30 p.m. Musical Performance by Coro de la Treinta (30th Street Chorus) of the Community Music Center
This community choir for older adults is a collaboration between the San Francisco Community Music Center and the 30th St. Senior Center. The choir sings primarily in Spanish, English, and Tagalog, including many classics from Latin America. Coro de la Treinta is directed by Martha Rodríguez-Salazar and accompanied by Jennifer Peringer.Refreshments will be served. All the programs are free and all ages are welcomed!
This program is part of ¡VIVA!, the library’s celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place every year from September 15 – October 15.
- Opera for the People Lecture Series
- Saturday, September 20, 2014Noe Valley/Sally Brunn, Noe Valley Meeting Room
- ¡Viva! Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
- Saturday, September 20, 2014Mission, Mission General Floor Area
- ¡Baila conmigo! Dance with Me, Maria Luna!
- Saturday, September 20, 2014Anza, Anza Meeting Room
- Papel Picado Banners!
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Destiny Arts-Capoira
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014Visitacion Valley, Visitacion Valley Meeting Room
- Zumba Basics
- Friday, September 26, 2014Main Library, Children's Storytelling Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.