Journalist and author Anthony Stanford and Fresh! White a racial and gender justice advocate explore the various reasons for the Black Church's aversion and the general black cultural inflexibility towards homosexuality, same-sex marriage and acceptance of the LGBTQ community. The panelists connect black cultural resistance towards homosexuality to politics, faith and fear. They follow the trail of faith-based funding to the pulpit of black mega-churches and spotlights how members of the black clergy have sacrificed black LGBTQ community for personal and political advancement.
See Queerest.Library.Ever. sfpl.org/hormelat20 for related online exhibits, archives, and resources.
- Daniel Jose Older
- Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Black History Month Scavenger Hunt
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 10:00 amBayview, Bayview General Floor Area
- I am Legend
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 3:15 pmChinatown, Chinatown Meeting Room
- Celebrating the diverse and beautiful world of Ashley Bryan
- Through Tuesday, February 28, 2017Main Library, Children's Center Exhibit Space
- Envisioning the Classics with Color
- Through Thursday, March 2, 2017Main Library, African American Center