Journalist and author Anthony Stanford and Fresh! White a racial and gender justice advocate explore the various reasons for the Black Church's aversion and the general black cultural inflexibility towards homosexuality, same-sex marriage and acceptance of the LGBTQ community. The panelists connect black cultural resistance towards homosexuality to politics, faith and fear. They follow the trail of faith-based funding to the pulpit of black mega-churches and spotlights how members of the black clergy have sacrificed black LGBTQ community for personal and political advancement.
See Queerest.Library.Ever. sfpl.org/hormelat20 for related online exhibits, archives, and resources.
- Six Roses - Jazz Performance
- Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 7:00 pmExcelsior, Excelsior Meeting Room
- Black Hollywood Unchained Book and Panel Discussion
- Sunday, July 3, 2016, 1:30 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Black Brothers Esteem: Then and Now Kick-Off
- Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 5:00 pmMain Library, Skylight Gallery
- Celebrating The Past/Creating The Future
- Through Sunday, August 7, 2016Main Library, Jewett Gallery
- Out At The Library
- Through Sunday, August 7, 2016Main Library, Skylight Gallery
- Queer & Quirky: OBJECTifying Ourselves
- Through Sunday, August 7, 2016Eureka Valley, Eureka Valley General Floor Area