An illustrated lecture with author Ben Tarnoff.
Tarnoff's latest book focuses on Mark Twain's early years as a struggling writer in Civil War-era San Francisco and on the countercultural community he discovered there. It was a haven for weirdos, gamblers, crooks and draft dodgers, but later became a literary laboratory for new kinds of writing, eventually influencing several of the directions American literature went during the decades that followed.
A book sale and signing will follow the program.
Summer Read SF 2014: May 31-August 10
Connect to your library, your imagination, and San Francisco.
- Writing To Be Read: Strategies for Maximizing Impact
- Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 6:00 pm
- San Francisco's Chinatown, Then & Now
- Saturday, May 7, 2016, 11:00 am
- Local Poets Series
- Thursday, May 12, 2016, 6:00 pm