An illustrated lecture with author Ben Tarnoff.
Tarnoff's latest book focuses on Mark Twain's early years as a struggling writer in Civil War-era San Francisco and on the countercultural community he discovered there. It was a haven for weirdos, gamblers, crooks and draft dodgers, but later became a literary laboratory for new kinds of writing, eventually influencing several of the directions American literature went during the decades that followed.
A book sale and signing will follow the program.
Summer Read SF 2014: May 31-August 10
Connect to your library, your imagination, and San Francisco.
- The Bubble Gal
- Saturday, July 26, 2014Excelsior, Excelsior Meeting Room
- WeDo Lego Robotics
- Saturday, July 26, 2014Presidio, Presidio Meeting Room
- Food Gardening in a Small Space
- Saturday, July 26, 2014Ocean View, Ocean View Meeting Room
- Saturday, July 26, 2014West Portal, West Portal Children's Area
- Alka Seltzer Rockets
- Monday, July 28, 2014Bayview, Bayview Meeting Room
- GoGo Craft
- Tuesday, July 29, 2014Main Library, Children's Center