South of Market: 1978 - 1986 is a photographic portrait of a San Francisco neighbourhood in the throes of urban renewal.
In 1978, Janet Delaney moved to San Francisco’s South of Market district because the location was central and the rent was cheap. On the weekends she photographed with her large format camera at the nearby construction site for what is now the Moscone Convention Center. After witnessing the nighttime demolition of an adjacent residential hotel, Delaney became interested in the rippling economic effects urban renewal was having on poor and working class residents. Leaving the construction site behind, Delaney joined local efforts to protest the city’s treatment of the community and began to photograph and interview her neighbors in their homes and places of work.
South of Market is not a romantic representation of San Francisco’s past, but rather a testament to a vanished community made up of blue-collar workers, small business owners, families with children, artists, and gay men. The work is especially relevant today, as a new wave of gentrification brought on by the second internet boom is again driving less affluent residents out of San Francisco. “As I continue to photograph in San Francisco and in urban areas around the world,” says Delaney, “I see that who plays and who pays remains, as it always was, the central issue.”
The photographs are accompanied by interviews which offer personal responses to the impact of gentrification on twelve of Delaney’s neighbors. An essay by Erin O’Toole sets the context for this story by providing a history of this constantly evolving San Francisco neighborhood.
Una Ciudad Un Libro es el club de lectores de la ciudad.
Este año leemos Tales of the City de Armistead Maupin.
Más información en: Una Ciudad Un Libro.
- A Palestinian Poetry & Music Event
- Martes 25 de Octubre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Ghosts, Sinners, and Secret Places
- Miércoles 26 de Octubre de 2016, 6:00 pmPotrero, Potrero: Sala de Reuniones
- March of the Suffragettes
- Miércoles 26 de Octubre de 2016, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced: Área Principal
- Home Away from Home:
- Hasta Domingo 27 de Noviembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Galería Jewett
- Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here:
- Hasta Domingo 1 de Enero de 2017Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight
- Dadamatic Mail Art
- Hasta Sábado 31 de Diciembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight