Scholarly Voices presents Across the African Diaspora: Islam and Sexuality with Dr. Ibrahim Farajajé
Generally speaking, because of the cultural taboos as well as the legal sanctions against homosexual conduct and relations, life for individuals with non-normative sexuality in the Arab and Muslim world may be lived inside a culturally unique closet, but a closet is still a closet. Education and dialogue on religion and homosexuality is important in order to encourage a better understanding and mutual respect amongst individuals and communities as well as to empower Muslim LGBT young people to deal with the questions and issues they face.
Come listen and add your voice to the conversation! Presented by Museum of the African Diaspora in the Neighborhood.
- Author Talk: Dennis McNally
- Tuesday, October 21, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Armistead Maupin in conversation with K.M. Soehnlein
- Thursday, October 23, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Author Talk with Kathryn Ma; The Year She Left Us
- Saturday, November 1, 2014Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B