Due to the rare and fragile nature of many of the materials in our collections, we request that library users observe the following rules.
SIGN- IN: Please sign the visitor’s register as you enter the center.
- Briefcases, knapsacks, and other bags must be checked in at the reference desk.
- Only pencils are allowed for note taking.
- Materials may not be photographed without permission.
- Eating, drinking and smoking are prohibited.
HANDLING OF MATERIALS: NO MATERIALS MAY BE REMOVED FROM THE CENTER. An exception is made for microforms, which can be taken to the Magazines and Newspapers Center for viewing/printing. All materials must be treated with special care. Many items are of a rare nature and are costly or irreplaceable. Do not turn opened books face down or fold down page corners. Do not mark in books or trace over pictures or diagrams. Use materials flat on the table; please do not lean on them. Please help us preserve our special collections for the future!
REQUESTING MATERIALS: Most of our materials are located in closed areas. Call slips, available at the reference desk, must be filled out when requesting these materials. Three items may be requested at one time. ONE PIECE OF IDENTIFICATION (library card or driver’s license) will be held at the reference desk while requested materials are in use. Note: some materials requested from remote storage can only be made available the next day.
PHOTOCOPIES: All photocopies are made by staff, once a day at 4 p.m. Request forms for copy work are available at the reference desk. Special restrictions may apply to many of our materials, including newspapers, manuscripts, photographs, fragile items, and oversize volumes. Reproduction from any of our materials is at the discretion of the librarian.
- Black and white copies are 10¢ per page; oversize (11x17) are 20¢; color copies are 40¢. There is a $1 charge for mailing copies. Payment by cash or check must be received before copies will be made. Copy orders are done at 4pm daily; orders placed after 4pm will be ready for pickup the following afternoon. Copy orders should be turned in at the Reference Desk at least 15 minutes before closing.
- Patrons may make their own reproductions using their own camera equipment under certain circumstances. Patrons should complete a Photocopy Request form when photographing from textual collections, and should complete a Reproduction of Images form when copying from photograph collections. For further information on the Center’s photograph collections and reproduction of images, see the Order Images section.
PHOTOGRAPHS: The Photograph Collection has restricted hours. Special guidelines for use of the collection are available online and at the reference desk.