Many aspects of dance can be found in the Main Library’s collections of books, periodicals, encyclopedias, clipping files, concert programs, photo collections and videos, as well as through online resources that are accessible from this Website.
At the Art, Music and Recreation Center:
- Search the files of Bay Area Musicians and Performing Artists for information from the late 1960s to the present on local dancers.
- Search for information on local dance companies, performances, festivals and reviews in the general clipping files.
- Selected programs of dance concerts (since the 1960s) are available.
- Find critical articles, histories, videographies and bibliographies from the complete body of dance literature in International Encyclopedia of Dance (AMR Ref 792.6203 In8), International Dictionary of Modern Dance (AMR Ref 792.803 In8) and International Dictionary of Ballet (AMR Ref 792.8 In8).
- Stern's Directory (AMR Ref 793.3 D195a) is the single most inclusive directory of all dance services and dance companies worldwide.
- Refer to Guide to Dance Periodicals 1931-1962 (AMR Ref 016.793 G941) and the Readers’ Guide to Periodical Literature (AMR Ref 050 R22c) for articles on dance and dancers.
- Dance Magazine College Guide (AMR Ref 793.3 D195d) can guide the student seeking a dance degree.
Using the Library’s Online Resources:
- Search the individual, company name, country or dance style (e.g. tango, modern dance or ballet) in the Library’s catalog to locate books and video recordings (VHS tapes and DVDs).
- Search Art Full Text (costume and set design); Arts and Humanities Citation Index; Biography and Genealogy Master Index; EBSCOHost Magazines; Oxford Music; InfoTrac OneFile; Newspapers (ProQuest) and others using the Library’s collection of Web resources.
Elsewhere in the Main Library:
- Audiovisual Center's numerous VHS tapes and DVDs:
- Dance self-instruction, performance and demonstration (call numbers Video 792.8 and Video 793.3)
- Folk and social dance in JVC Video Anthology of World Music and Dance (call number VIDEO 781.62 JV), a 30-part series produced in conjunction with the Smithsonian/Folkways label that showcases traditional and social dances of the Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa
- Magazine and Newspaper Center - periodicals containing articles on dance and dancers
- San Francisco History Center - books, files and photographs of local dancers