The Business, Science and Technology Center of San Francisco Public Library is a great place to start for business research. However, the Government Information Center (GIC) has some business-related statistics for San Francisco, as well as patent and trademark information in the Patent and Trademark Center. Consult the GIC and/or Business, Science and Technology librarians for specific information.
Key San Francisco Government Web Sites for Local Businesses
- Business Spotlight: this section of the City and County home page is the best place to start
- Starting a Business: on the San Francisco government Web site; includes the valuable booklet Getting A Business Started: A Guide To Doing Business In San Francisco
- Business Zone: from the Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector
- San Francisco Center for Economic Development (SFCED): a private sector partner with City government to promote strategies for a thriving business community
- SF Prospector: an interactive application with maps to calculate current demographic, economic and business statistics for specific San Francisco locations: search by neighborhood, zip code, supervisorial district, and redevelopment area. Also designed to search for available commercial property.
- Fictitious Business Names Search
- Office of Contract Administration: to help streamline doing business with the City and County