The San Francisco Building Codes are amendments to the California Building Standards Codes (California Code of Regulations, Title 24) and must be used in conjunction with these state codes.
Print copies of both the current San Francisco and California Building Codes are available at the Government Information Center (GIC).
The most current version of these codes is the 2013 Triennial Edition (effective January 1, 2014).
Historic Building Codes
Most of these books are available through the Government Information Center, but some are located in the History Center (6th floor of the Main).
- Building laws going back to 1903 (in General Orders and Ordinances of the Board of Supervisors and other publications).
- Official building laws, City and County of San Francisco 1921 (online, located in the History Center)
- Building Code 1928, 1930, 1934 (online)
- Building laws, City and County of San Francisco 1928, 1930, 1934 (online, located in the History Center)
- Building Code 1946, 1956 [Aug. 1960 printing], 1956 amended through Aug. 1962, 1956 amended through Feb. 1965, 1969, 1969 amended through July 1970, 1969 amended through Oct. 1972, 1975, 1975 amended through Nov. 1982 (Partially online)
- Building code 1948, 1952 (online)
- Building code 1988, 1992, 1992 v.1 amended through June 1995, 1995, 1995 v.1 amended through Dec. 1997 (Not online)
- California building code. [San Francisco ed.] 1998, 1998 amended through June 2002, 2001 amended through Feb 2007, 2010 amended through Sept. 2013, 2013 (Not online)
- A rare article titled, The History and Legal Basis of Building Code Development, Adoption and Enforcement As It Applies To San Francisco (not online)
California Building Codes that are available online at the California Building Standards Web site include:
- CA Building Standards Administrative Code (Part 1)
- CA Building Code (Title 24, Part 2)
- CA Residential Building Code (Title 24, Part 2.5)
- CA Mechanical Code (Part 4)
- CA Plumbing Code (Part 5)
- CA Energy Code (Part 6)
- (Part 7, No longer published in Title 24. See Title 8, CCR )
- CA Historical Building Code (Part 8)
- CA Fire Code (Part 9)
- Part 10 - California Existing Building Code
- Part 11 - California Green Building Standards Code (PDF 1.8M)
- CA Reference Standards Code (Part 12)
- CA Electrical Code (Part 3)
- Information Sheets from the San Francisco Department of Building Inspection - These are guides that interpet different parts of the building code to help with compliance.
- Administrative Bulletins from the San Francisco Department of Building Inspection - Administrative Bulletins document the procedures to be followed by Department of Building Inspection (DBI) staff and other agencies which are involved with the regulatory functions of DBI.
- Interpretation of Regulations from the Division of the State Architect
- DSA Academy - Division of the State Architect classes that promote consistent knowledge and application of the California Building Codes (CBC) as well as regulations needed for successful plan review, and construction of projects under DSA’s jurisdiction.
- ICC (International Code Council) - The International Code Council is dedicated to developing model codes and standards used in the design, build and compliance process to construct safe, sustainable, affordable and resilient structures.They produce the International Building Code, International Fire Code, and many other code standards.
The Business, Science and Technology Center (4th floor at the Main) has paper copies of national and international codes: