How to find stock price quotes and related company information
Current Stock Price Quotes
Our Morningstar database has excellent current stock investor information, including analysis and stock quotes, as well as mutual fund analysis and recommendations. There are also a number of sources for current stock price quotes are on the Internet; see our bookmarks in Delicious.com listed at the bottom of this page.
Historical Stock Price Quotes
- Daily Stock Price Record published by Standard & Poor's is available in bound volumes at the Main Library. It contains daily price information:
- New York Stock Exchange - 1961 to the present
- American Stock Exchange - 1962 to the present
- NASDAQ (formerly Over-the-Counter) - 1968 to the present
- Wall Street Journal on microfilm back to July 1889 is available at the Main Library.
- San Francisco Chronicle and Examiner are also available on microfilm back to 1865 in the Main Library.
- National Stock Summary, 1971 to present, is good source for thinly traded and smaller public companies.
Researching Older Companies and Their Stock
What if you can't find a company listed in current sources? Maybe the company has merged with or been taken over by another company; or maybe its name has changed. Perhaps it is no longer in business. The sources below will help you with your research.
Check a current periodical or newspaper index such as InfoTrac or Proquest to see if there is any mention of your company. Also try our company information databases such as Mergent and Business & Company Resource Center, both of which have history tabs with details about a company’s development over time.
- Mergent's Industrial Manual (formerly Moody's) is an excellent source of company history information. Editions from 1909 to the present. Microfiche editions are available at the Business Reference Desk.
- Standard & Poor's Corporate Descriptions includes a complete corporate history of public companies.
- Capital Changes Reporter (formerly Capital Adjustments) An excellent source for name changes, splits, consolidations, mergers, etc. Always remember to consult the "New Matters" section for the very latest information.
- Robert D. Fisher Manual of Valuable and Worthless Securities Editions from 1938-1975.
- Marvyn Scudder Manual of Extinct or Obsolete Companies Editions from 1926-1934.
- Directory of Obsolete Securities Editions from 1976-1992.
- Walker's Manual of Pacific Coast Securities A good source of Information on Western Companies. Editions from 1909-1995.