MEDIA CONTACT: Sherri Eng, (415) 557-4282; email@example.com
Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial Branch Library Hosts Closing Party]
Invitation to Cover
What: Join Eureka Valley neighbors and friends, Library staff and city officials for a celebratory closing party for the Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial Branch Library. The community will also honor former Library Commissioner Steve Coulter for his years of service to San Francisco's libraries and LGBT community. Prior to the closing party, the bookmobile will make a special tour with stops at the Eureka Valley Recreation Center (10-10:30 a.m.), the Bagdad CafÃ© (10:45-11:15 a.m.) and the Castro Theater (11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.). Special guests will perform at each stop.
When: 1-3 p.m.on Saturday, March 1
Where: 1 JosÃ© Sarria Court (16th Street near Market)
- City Librarian Luis Herrera
- State Assemblyman Mark Leno and staff
- Rachelle McManus, representing Supervisor Bevan Dufty
- Donna Bero, executive director, Friends of the San Francisco Public Library
- Jewelle Gomez, President, San Francisco Public Library Commission
- Steve Coulter, former San Francisco Public Library Commissioner
Sister Kitty Catalyst of the Sisters of the Perpetual Indulgence will perform a "blessing" following the remarks.
- The Jules Broussard Trio
- Temple of Poi Dancers
- Poet Dan Bellm
- Children's crafts with Paula Benton
- Children's musicians from the San Francisco Friends School
Why: The Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial Branch Library will close March 1 for a much needed renovation as part of the Branch Library Improvement Program (BLIP). San Francisco voters approved a $106 million bond measure in November 2000 to upgrade the cityâ€™s branch library system. The branch is scheduled to reopen in late 2009.
Please RSVP to (415) 557-4277
Building better libraries for stronger communities.