MEDIA CONTACT: Sherri Eng, (415) 557-4282; firstname.lastname@example.org
Western Addition Branch Library Celebrates Grand Re-Opening
Invitation to Cover
What: Join Mayor Gavin Newsom, Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, City Librarian Luis Herrera and other officials for the grand re-opening celebration of the newly restored Western Addition Branch Library.
When: 1-4 p.m. on Saturday, February 2
Where: 1550 Scott St. (at Geary)
- Mayor Gavin Newsom
- City Librarian Luis Herrera
- Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi
- State Assemblyman Mark Leno
- Jewelle Gomez, San Francisco Public Library Commission
- Edward D. Reiskin, Department of Public Works
- Donna Bero, executive director, Friends of the San Francisco Public Library
- Hiroshi Kashiwagi, Western Addition Library Campaign Committee
- Lion dancers from the Jing Mo Athletic Association
- Taiko Ren
- Kindergarteners from Rosa Parks Elementary School
- African American Historical and Cultural Center Studio A Dancers
- African American Historical and Cultural Center After-school Program
- Bay Area Magic Makers
- Afro Solo Theater Group
Why: The Western Addition Branch is the seventh library to be renovated or built under the Branch Library Improvement Program, which was funded by a $105.9 million bond measure approved by voters in 2000. A separate fundraising campaign by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library provided new furniture and equipment for the Western Addition Branch. Improvements to this beautiful modern building in a park setting include a new and expanded teen area, updated childrenâ€™s room, a new program room, a landscaped courtyard, more computers and free WiFi access to the Internet. The renovation also features seismic retrofitting and ergonomically redesigned staff work areas.
Please RSVP to (415) 557-4277
We voted to renovate and build new branch libraries across the city. It's happening!