Your Library PIN (Personal Identification Number) can be any 4 numbers without dashes or spaces. If there was no PIN in your record, the system will accept the number you just keyed as your PIN, and you will be asked to enter it again as verification. For security purposes, instead of seeing the actual numbers on the screen, the user will see asterisks or bullets displayed as the new PIN is entered.
Why do I need a PIN?
A PIN protects your library card from unauthorized use. In the event that your card is lost or stolen, we have provided you with an extra layer of protection. The Library enabled this feature to help ensure the privacy of library accounts.
Your PIN is required when you:
- login to My Account on the library’s web site
- login to use a library database
- check out items at a self-check out machine (as of June 1, 2012)
- login to reserve and use a library computer
How to Change Your PIN
- Log In to your Library record.
- Click the Modify your PIN button
Forgot your PIN?
There are three ways we can help if you've forgotten your PIN:
- If you're in the Library, staff at any service desk will reset it. To safeguard your security, staff will need your address, birth date and your library card or a current picture ID
- Call 415-557-4400 for help
Online go to Forgot your PIN? to enter your Library Card number. You will receive an email with instructions on how to reset your PIN.
Important: you must have a valid email address in your Library Record to use this form.