Park Library History

The Park Branch Renovation was completed on February 26, 2011. Watch the Reopening Day Video, and take a Virtual Tour of Park's LEED features.

Park Branch opened on October 29th, 1909, and is the oldest existing San Francisco Public Library building. Park Branch was built with City funds: $7,000 for the land and $27,000 for the building. Designed by the McDougall Brothers, the two-story neo-classical brick and terra cotta building is set 30 feet back from the street to complement the primarily residential area around it. Interior of the Park Branch Library c.1916
Interior of the Park Branch Library c.1916
Interior of the Park Branch Library in 1970
Interior of the Park Branch Library in 1970

Take our survey