Due to the ebb and flow of the Library’s needs, volunteer opportunities are ever-changing. Below is a list of ongoing opportunities. At the time you apply, you will receive a list of the current available opportunities at that time.
Adult Volunteer Opportunities
Featured volunteer opportunity! Kwanzaa celebrations are coming back to the Main Library! Volunteers are needed for food set up, breakdown and to provide directional assistance to the public on Sunday December 29th from 12p-4p. Great, family-oriented event!
Library Partner Volunteer Opportunity!
California Historical Society (CHS) is seeking enthusiastic, bi-lingual (English, Spanish) volunteers to lead group tours and support gallery visitors during CHS’s first b-lingual exhibit, Juana Briones y su California: Pionera, Fundadera, Curandera. Juana Briones lived from 1802-1889 and was a healer, a midwife, a businesswoman, landowner and much more. The exhibition will be open from January 26-June 7th. We are looking for volunteers who can bring life to this already vibrant story. Please email Patricia Pforte at email@example.com for application and information related to the position.
Current Library Opportunities:
- Computer Lab Assistant - Assist with a basic computer class at the Execelsior Branch Library on Tuesday evenings. Knowledge of basic/intermediate internet/computer use. The Excelsior library is also seeking a Chinese-speaking volunteer for their Saturday afternoon class.
- Homework Help Assistant - Help K-5 students with their homework assignments at the Ocean View Branch Library.
- Knitting Class Assistant @ the Sunset Branch & the Main Library – The Sunset Branch is looking for Knitting Class Assistant on the 2nd Saturdays of the month from 10:15a-12:15p. The Main Library class meets the 3rd Saturday of the month from 2p-4p.
- Project Read – Make a difference by helping someone learn to read. Visit Project Read’s page for more information.
- SF City Guides - City Guides volunteers lead free walking tours that focus on the architecture, history, legends, and lore of San Francisco. Please visit http://sfcityguides.org/becomeguide/apinfo.html for more information.
- Technology Assistant @ the Main Library, Richmond or Sunset Branches - The Library now offers a full range of print, copy, scan and fax services. Our patrons tend to need help with these machines. Training provided. This position is recommended for individuals that enjoy helping people and that may need to study on the job. Position involves sitting and waiting for people to approach you as needed. Great for students that need to study on the job!
Please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator for an Adult Volunteer Application.