Due to the ebb and flow of the Library’s needs, volunteer opportunities are ever-changing. Below is a list of ongoing opportunities. At the time you apply, you will receive a list of the current available opportunities at that time.
Adult Volunteer Opportunities
- Book Buddies – Be a positive and entertaining force by reading to children at various hospitals. Opportunities may be available at Kaiser Permanente, UCSF Medical Center and Sutter Health. The next orientation will be held on Tuesday October 23, 2012 @ 5:30p at the Main Library, 100 Larkin Street in the 2nd floor Children’s Center. Please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator to sign up for the orientation.
- Book Club Leader – The library has received a grant to administer a financial literacy series. We have chosen a book and are looking for someone with a financial background to lead some of the book discussions.
- Computer Lab Assistants – Computer Lab Assistants are needed at the Main Library, Richmond and Sunset branches. The Richmond branch needs a volunteer willing to commit to leading the computer classes at least once per month. The Sunset branch is looking for an assistant to help float the classroom and answer questions.
Excelsior and Richmond branch Teen Services libraries are also looking for an adult volunteer to help administer the Teen Computer Corps program.
Teen Computer Corps is a program in which teen volunteers help adults one-on-one learn computer skills. The program is looking for an adult volunteer to help monitor the program. This would involve helping teens answer questions, monitor adult/youth interaction, etc.
- Conversational English Group Leader – Help those with limited proficiency in English become better speakers.
- Homework Help Assistant – Various libraries will be looking for Homework Help Assistants to assist school-aged children with work during the school year. Currently, Mission branch is looking for HHAs with more branches needing volunteers shortly.
- Knitting Class Assistant @ the Main Library – On the 3rd Saturday of the month from 2p-4p, the Knitting Group at the Main Library is looking for knitting class assistants. Currently we are looking for Vietnamese and Mandarin speaking volunteers.
- Library Programming Assistant - West Portal Branch is looking for someone to help direct and monitor strollers in their courtyard during story time and lap sits. Other duties assigned as needed.
- Project Read – Make a difference by helping someone learn to read. Visit Project Read’s page for more information.
- SF City Guides - City Guides volunteers lead free walking tours that focus on the architecture, history, legends, and lore of San Francisco. Please visit http://sfcityguides.org/becomeguide/apinfo.html for more information.
- Technology Assistant - The Library now offers a full range of print, copy, scan and fax services on our new multifunctional devices. We really need volunteers to help the public with these machines. Volunteers needed @ the Marina, Richmond, and Sunset a branches currently. Training is provided!
If you are 18 or older, please download the Adult Volunteer Application and return to the Library you wish to volunteer at.