The design process for the New SFPL Teen Center was funded through an Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)-MacArthur Foundation grant. The process included working with partners (KQED, California Academy of Sciences, and the Bay Area Video Coalition), Teen Center Staff and the Board of Advising Youth to create a program and conceptual design.
The teen perspective was vital to the design process, including:
- Initial Design Camp – October 2011
- Establishment of Board of Advising Youth – May 2012
- Field research and tours, working groups, mentor consultations and community surveys – Summer and Fall 2012
- Design charrettes with the Department of Public Works (DPW) – February – May 2013
- Meetings with DPW to select materials, finishes and details – ongoing meetings with Library staff to provide input on media and technology
- Presentation from DPW on the charrettes (PDF)