List of Photo Collections
The San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection database consists of images from the San Francisco History Center Subject Collection as well as a sampling from a variety of collections. There are a number of collections that belong to the San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection that have not been digitized and are available to view during Photo Desk open hours.
A list of collections are below as well as over 30 processed photograph collections on the Online Archive of California (OAC). Please search the lists below and the OAC. There are unprocessed photograph collections; please contact the Photo Curator for more information and access.
Looking for a photograph of a building? Use the guide: How to Find Photographs of a San Francisco Building
- San Francisco History Subject Collection
- The San Francisco History Center Subject Collection consists of photographs, from the 1850s to the present.
- Marilyn Blaisdell Photograph Collection
- This collection of over 17,000 prints and 8,000 negatives includes significant San Francisco photographers and landmarks.
- San Francisco News-Call Bulletin Photo Morgue
- This collection consists of over 1,200 cartons of photographs from news agencies and wire services filed with local photo studios and staff photographers documenting local, state, national and international events and locations.
- San Francisco Assessor's Office Negative Collection: Residences and Businesses
- This collection was given to the History Center by the San Francisco Assessor's Office.
- San Francisco Department of Public Works Albums
- The collection consists of over 95 photograph albums from 1907 to the 1930s depicting the Department of Public Works (DPW) projects.
- San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (PUC) Digital Collection
- The PUC online collection includes over 300 images, spanning 1887 to 1968.
- Shades of San Francisco
- Shades of San Francisco is a community history photography project of the San Francisco History Center.
- San Francisco History Center Panorama Collection
- The collection consists of over 200 panoramas of mostly 20th century San Francisco views.
- San Francisco History Center Stereograph Collection
- Stereographs are two photographs mounted side by side and appear three-dimensional when inspected with a viewer.
- San Francisco History Center Cabinet Card Collection
- The collection of over 300 cabinet cards includes significant San Francisco studios such as Elite, Bradley & Rulofson, and Houseworth.
- San Francisco History Center Postcard Collection
- This collection consists of approximately 5,000 postcards and photo-postcards of San Francisco.
- Willard E. Worden Glass Plate Negative Collection
- The collection contains 432 glass plate negatives taken by San Francisco photographer Willard E. Worden ca. 1911-1912.
- James A. Scott Collection
- This collection contains over 4,000 photographs of San Francisco taken over a period of 40 years.
- Ernest Clayton Collection of California Wild Flowers
- The Ernest Clayton Collection of California Wild Flowers consists of 200 watercolors painted between the years 1942 and 1952.
Please note that viewing images is limited to Tuesday and Thursday from 1-5pm; and Saturday from 10-Noon and 1-5pm.