Guidelines for Using the Collection
Due to the rare and fragile nature of many of the materials in our collections, we request that library users observe the following rules:
Please sign the visitor's register as you enter the department. Be sure to keep your library card or a photo ID with you; you will need it to use materials from our collections.
- Briefcases, knapsacks, and other bags must be checked in at the reference desk.
- Only pencils are allowed for taking notes.
- Materials may not be photographed without permission.
- Eating, drinking, and smoking are prohibited.
Handling of Materials
Many items are of a rare nature and are costly or irreplaceable, therefore all materials must be treated with special care.
- No materials may be removed from the department. An exception is made for microforms, which may be taken to the Magazine and Newspaper Center for viewing/printing.
- Do not turn opened books face down or fold down page corners.
- Do not mark in books or trace over pictures or diagrams.
- Use materials flat on the table; do not lean on them.
- Please, help us preserve our special collections for the future.
- One piece of indentification(library card or driver's license) will be held at the reference desk while requested materials are in use.
- Most of our materials are located in closed areas.
- Call slips, available at the reference desk, must be filled out when requesting these materials.
- The number of items requested at one time may be limited at the librarian's discretion.
- Note: Some materials requested from remote storage can only be made available the next day.
- Reproduction from any of our materials is at the discretion of the librarian.
- Special restrictions may apply to many of our materials, including newspapers, manuscripts, photographs, fragile items, and oversize volumes.
- Photocopy request forms are available at the reference desk.
- Black and white copies are 10¢ per page; oversize (11x17) are 20¢; color copies are 40¢. There is a $1 charge for mailing copies. Payment by cash or check must be received before copies will be made. Copy orders are done at 4pm daily; orders placed after 4pm will be ready for pickup the following afternoon. Copy orders should be turned in at the Reference Desk at least 15 minutes before closing.
- Patrons may make their own reproductions using their own camera equipment under certain circumstances. Patrons should complete a Photocopy Request form when photographing from textual collections, and should complete a Reproduction of Images form when copying from photograph collections. For further information on the Center’s photograph collections and reproduction of images, see the Order Images section.