- Chilton, Haynes, Mitchell and other print repair manuals
- Repair manuals are broken into two types:
- Model Specific Manuals (Chilton, Clymer, Haynes)
- Annual Shop Manuals (Chilton, Mitchell, Motor)
- There are two databases that can be used to search for the proper repair manuals by make, model and year of vehicle
- Relevant repair manuals can also be found using a keyword or subject search on our online catalog (e.g., Keyword: “1996 Dodge Caravan” or Subject: Dodge Trucks)
- ALLDATA Online - Printable full-text automotive diagnostic and repair information manuals
- In addition to diagnostic/repair manuals, it offers Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), recall information, projected labor costs for specific work, and various other information
- The ALLDATA Online database is only accessible at the Main Library. Information can be printed from the database using library printers.
- Hollander Interchange Manuals
- VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) breakdowns and engine ID numbers
- Useful for finding parts that can be used in different vehicles
- Mitchell's Mechanical Parts & Labor Estimating Guides
- VIN breakdowns and major mechanical component part numbers with original prices
- Estimated labor times
- Automobile-related Periodicals and Articles
- YouTube Videos and Internet Forums
- There are many videos on YouTube that provide step-by-step repair instructions for specific automobile/truck models
- Precise keyword searches work best (e.g., “1996 Dodge Caravan starter”)
- There exists an Internet forum/newsgroup for practically every make and model of car and truck; these can be an excellent source of information. They can be found by Internet keyword searches.
- e.g., “Dodge Caravan forum" or "Subaru Outback forum"
- Pricing Guides for Used Vehicles (Print and Online)
- Kelley Blue Book
- Online values for vehicles (1994-Current)
- Current Kelley Blue Book editions are available in print at the Main Library and select Branches
- Older vehicle values (1969-Current) are available in print at the Main Library
- Main Library also carries Kelley Blue Book guides for older cars, early cars, motor homes, camper & van conversions, motorcycles, manufactured homes, and trailers
- Online values for vehicles (1990-Current)
- National Automotive Dealers Association
- Also available in print at the Main Library
- The Main Library also has a number of other specialty pricing guides such as:
No single source is comprehensive; one sometimes needs to consult more than one book/database to find all the necessary information. Contact a librarian at the Main Library’s Business, Science & Technology desk for more information.