In order to effectively market, you need to understand how your industry is structured, how it’s performing, and how it’s changing. To help you find this sort of information we provide sources that contain industry surveys or provide product market share statistics. In print, we offer a comprehensive, up-to-date series of industry guides (Plunkett’s Almanacs) by industry, such as biotechnology, apparel, e-commerce, etcetera. Our databases are also great sources for industry and market trends research. The “Industry Overview” feature in our Business & Company Resource Center database is especially helpful, as are industry overviews in Mergent and Ebscohost's Business Source Complete.
Industry Overviews -- U.S.
- Market Share Reporter. Gale Research Inc. Annual compilation of market share data on U.S. companies, products & services.
- Mergent Industry Reviews. Statistical data by industry, companies ranked.
- Standard & Poors Industry Surveys. Standard & Poors Inc. Summaries for broad industry categories and detailed business segments. Includes forecasts, sales data, industry ratios; lists leading companies.
- U.S. Industry and Trade Outlook. U.S. Department of Commerce. This publication replaces U.S.Industrial Outlook. Broad overviews of key industries, especially those figuring in international trade.
- Value Line Investment Survey. Value Line Inc. Concise summary for each major industry group. Provides product outlook and 5 year financial statistics.
Industry Overviews -- International
- European Marketing Data & Statistics. European Research Consultants Ltd.
- International Marketing Data and Statistics. Euromonitor Publications Ltd. Africa, Asia, Latin America & the Middle East.
- World Market Share Reporter. Gale Publications. International version of Market Share Reporter.
- Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios. Leo Troy.
- Annual Statement Studies. RMA, Robert Morris Associates
- Industry Norms & Key Business Ratios. Dun & Bradstreet
- IRS Corporate Financial Ratios. Schonfeld and Associates, Inc.
- Moody's/Mergent Industry Review. Also available via Mergent Online.
- Standard & Poor's Analysts' Handbook. Standard & Poor's
Ratios for Small Businesses
- Financial Studies of the Small Business. Financial Research Associates.
- BizStats.com Especially good for small businesses.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States. U.S. Bureau of the Census.
- Vast compendium of government and privately compiled statistics. Valuable for locating agencies & associations that publish industry data.
- Economic Census. U.S. Census Bureau
- Every five years the U.S. Census Bureau conducts an economic census, including: manufacturers, service industries, retail trade, wholesale trade, and industrial reports.
Trade or industry associations are an excellent, and often the only, source of industry information.
- Encyclopedia of Associations. Gale Research Inc.
- National, international & regional/local editions. (Also available online)
- Encyclopedia of Business Information Sources. Gale Research Inc. Associations, professional societies, and publications for numerous businesses & services.
- National Trade & Professional Associations of the U.S. Columbia Books. Good addition or alternative to the Encyclopedia of Associations.
- Small Business Sourcebook. Gale Research. Annual.
To find industry surveys in the online catalog, try a keyword search on the industry name and the word "statistics".
Following is a list of selected industry surveys from the U.S. Industry & Trade Collection. The trade directories in this section often contain market data as well as product information.
- Basic Petroleum Data Book. American Petroleum Institute.
- Beverage Marketing Directory. Beverage Marketing Corporation.
- Book Industry Trends. Book Industry Study Group.
- California Retail Survey. Eureka Group.
- Computer Industry Almanac. Computer Industry Almanac Inc.
- Distribution Study of Grocery Store Sales. Fairchild Publications.
- Electronic Market Data Book. Electronic Industries Association.
- Facts & Figures of the U.S. Plastics Industry. Society of the Plastics Industry.
- Fairchild's Textile & Apparel Financial Directory.
- ShoeStats. Footwear Industries of America.
- Snack Food Association: state of the industry report published in Snack Food and Wholesale Bakery Magazine, June issue [Ask at Magazines & Newspapers Desk, 5th Floor.]
- Trends in the Hotel Industry. Pannell, Kerr, Forster.
Trade Periodicals -- Directories
Most trade publications include a yearly state of the industry report.
- Business Publication Advertising Source. Standard Rate & Data Service. A comprehensive listing of industry trade publications.
- Directory of Business Periodical Special Issues. Reference Press.
- Guide to Special Issues & Indexes of Periodicals. Special Libraries Association.
Trade Periodicals -- Online Resources
Magazine articles are often the best source of current market information. You can search for relevant articles on our online databases. Look for an Industry Overview on a particular industry or for subject subdivisions such as economic aspects, forecasts, market share, statistics. Investment analysts' reports on an individual company will also provide valuable industry information.
Currently the best resources for market research are:
- Business and Company Resource Center Search under Industry for an overview on a particular industry, or for subject subdivisions such as economic aspects, forecasts, market share, or statistics. Investment analysts' reports on an individual company will also provide valuable industry information.
- Business Source Complete (EBSCO) Look for industry subheadings such as economic aspects, forecasting, or statistics.
Trade Periodicals -- Special Issues
A selection of issues located in the U.S. Industry & Trade Collection.
- Advertising Age. 100 Leading National Advertisers.
- [Generally published each September]
- Beverage Industry. Annual Soft Drink Report.
- Candy Industry. Annual state of the industry report.
- Drug Store News. State of the Industry.
- Home World Business. NHMA Annual Housewares Census
- Medical Economics. Managed Care.
- Plastics news. Market Data Book.
- Restaurant Business. Restaurant Growth Index.
- Supermarket Business. Annual Consumer Expenditures Survey.