Information for People with Service Animals
Service animals are welcomed in all SFPL facilities. Please help maintain a pleasant and safe environment for all library users by observing the following behavioral guidelines for your service animal. These guidelines conform to California Penal Code 365.7(a), San Francisco Health Code Article 1: Sections 41 (a) and 41.12 (a) and federal regulations that support the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Animals, other than service animals assisting persons with disabilities, are not permitted inside Library facilities or within 10 feet of any door.
- Fraudulently misrepresenting guide, signal or service dogs is a misdemeanor.
- Keep your service animal with you and under your control at all times.
- Keep your animal on the floor or on your person at all times.
- If your service animal is a dog, keep your dog on a leash.
- If your service animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, or disobeys SFPL's Patron Code of Conduct, it may not stay in the library.