Designed by architects Appleton and Wolfard, the Merced Branch was the 25th in the SFPL system. Built at a cost of $137,511, it was constructed in 1957 and opened on January 24, 1958.
The newly renovated branch opened on May 14, 2011. The renovation project was designed by Bureau of Architecture’s Library Design Studio, Department of Public Works, City & County of San Francisco at a cost of approximately $5.4 million.
The renovated branch includes a new addition at the front of the building, seismic strengthening, a designated Teen Area, a Children’s Area doubled in size with interactive early learning features, new fireside lounge area, increased capacity for books and other materials, more comfortable seating and a variety of seating choices, accessible restrooms, more functional and ergonomic staff work areas, additional computers, clearer signage, improved heating & ventilation, and much more.
The building was designed to meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver or greater certification for the U.S. Green Building Council.
Spectators at the Merced Branch Groundbreaking Ceremony c.1957