Copyright is held by individuals. Any reproduction, redistribution,
publication, exhibit, or other use, by any means, without prior written
permission is prohibited for all images included herein.
The San Francisco Public Library gratefully acknowledges the authors,
photographers, artists, agents and publishers for their permission to use
copyrighted material in Out at the Library. Every reasonable effort has
been made to obtain all necessary permissions. Should any errors have
occurred, they are inadvertent, and every effort will be made to correct
them, provided notification is made to the library in writing.
All materials are drawn from the San Francisco Public Library’s James C.
Hormel Gay and Lesbian Center collection, unless otherwise credited. Other
San Francisco Public Library collections represented include:
- The Daniel E. Koshland San Francisco History Center
The Marjorie G. & Carl W. Stern Book Arts & Special Collections Center
- Robert Grabhorn Collection on the History of Printing & the Development of the Book
- James D. Phelan California Authors Collection
- Schmulowitz Collection of Wit & Humor
Permissions information in addition to image captions:
- Exhibition photography by Dana Davis, 2005.
- A Book Concluding With As A Wife Has a Cow reproduced courtesy of Stanford G. Gann, Jr. of Levin and Gann, PA—Literary Executor of the Estate of Gertrude Stein.
- After Lorca reproduced courtesy of Robin Blaser, literary executor for the Estate of Jack Spicer.
- Faust Foutu reproduced courtesy of the Literary Estate of Robert Duncan.
- Joan Jett-Blakk and Babette reproduced courtesy of the Kiki Gallery Archive, administered by Wayne Smith.
- Harry Hay Linoleum Block, reproduced courtesy of the Harry Hay Estate.
- ONE reproduced courtesy of ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives.
- Vincent Diaries reproduced courtesy of Elizabeth Stone.