Teachers & Students
Let Us Help You Plan a Class Visit to the Library!
What We Can Offer You
- Story time
- Book talks
- Library orientation and tour
- Research assistance for specific topics
- Summer Learning programs
In addition to visiting the Library, ask us to visit your class, parent group, faculty meeting or special event.
Library Cards are the Key to a Lifetime of Learning
- Students who have their cards on the day of a visit may borrow materials, creating a more enjoyable experience.
- Library card applications are available in various languages at all Public Library locations, by fax or online.
- Children's applications must be completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian before they can be processed.
- Teacher Library Cards allow teachers to utilize library resources for their entire class
- Please return completed application in advance. Ask your librarian how much time is needed to have cards ready for your visit.
Tips for Successful Assignments
- Check with your children's librarian for resources available that can help you and your students
- Keep topics broad
- Accept the use of encyclopedias, library databases and other reference materials for assignments
- Ask students to draw their own illustrations or use photocopies of published materials
- Accept alternate titles and authors when assigned books are not available
- Consider the quality of the material, rather than the number of pages
- Ask your librarian for additional suggestions
Planning a visit to the Main Library Children’s Center? Let's plan it together! sfpl.org/ClassVisitMainKids. Contact the children’s librarian at your neighborhood branch to schedule a visit.