Yes, The Mix supports all SFPL’s Strategic Priorities
- A Premier Urban Library – Positioning the Library as America’s premier public library in delivering accessible services for San Francisco residents.
- Literacy and Learning – Building a highly literate and educated community.
- Youth Engagement – Supporting the City’s youth with myriad programs and services including summer learning, outreach to schools, and expanded teen services with an emphasis on access to technology and media literacy.
- Digital Strategy – Ensuring equitable access to public technology and resources.
- Partnerships for Excellence – Leveraging the Library’s resources to strengthen the services and programs offered and help the Library reach a larger audience.
- Organizational Excellence – Building the Library’s operational capacity to be a high performing organization as a good steward of the community’s resources.
The Mix at SFPL will prioritize youth literacy and learning, both traditional and technology focused. It will provide a safe and active learning space for youth in the heart of the City and will work with many other youth serving organizations to enhance and expand programs and resources for our City’s youth.
The Mix will include traditional, media and programmatic resources relevant to youth, including resources that support homework, self-directed learning, technology learning, mentoring and partnerships. It will provide the following programs and services:
- Collections that reflect and support the varied needs of youth, including informational, educational and recreational interests.
- Partnerships with city agencies and community based organizations that will expand and enhance the collections.
- Collaborative programs with other agencies and libraries, including those that provide training through workshops and classes.
- City wide programs and events for youth that support diversity, literacy and learning, digital and technological literacy and youth engagement.
- Sound and video studios where classes can be offered and where youth can create their own presentations, enhancing their media skills and becoming creators of media rather than just consumers.
- Laptop check out and computer areas for youth to access needed technology and build their 21
stcentury technology skills.
- Quiet reading areas and space for study.
- Group meeting area with lounge seating and a Carpet Garden lounging and program/presentation space.
- Maker Space that will offer classes and provide an area for youth to create, tinker or invent.
- Staff and mentors trained in working with youth and knowledgeable about resources at The Mix.
- Programs and class instruction.
A library staff team and the Board of Advising Youth identified various options within the Main Library and selected the 2
ndfloor near the Larkin Street entrance as the optimal location for The Mix on the South side of the building to the right as you enter through the Larkin Street Library entrance.
The The Mix will be 4770 square feet.
Construction began in Fall 2014 with an anticipated opening of Late Spring 2015.
Project Read has moved into the newly created Bridge at Main on the 5th floor. This will allow it to work more closely with other library services with shared goals of literacy and learning and to have ready access to additional materials and resources. Human Resources has moved to the 6th floor where they have more space to provide services to the public and Library staff.
Initial funding for construction comes from the Library’s budget. Additional funds will be raised by the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library. Private support will be welcome and those interested in the project may contact the Friends at (415) 626-7500.