11 Bay Area Libraries to Read for the Record Together

For Immediate Release

Contact: Benjamin Ibarra, Public Relations Officer
San Francisco Public Library
(415)557-4295; Benjamin.ibarra@sfpl.org

Contact: Shelly Hausman, Communications Manager
San Mateo County Library
(650) 312-5258; Hausman@smcl.org

Super Bowl 50 supports Early Literacy and Libraries

October 5, 2015 – Eleven of the Bay Area’s largest library systems, which offer services to over 3.5 million individuals, are joining forces to be part of Jumpstart’s global Read for the Record campaign on Thursday, October 22, 2015.  The campaign, aimed at ensuring that every child has an opportunity for success through engaging learning opportunities, will draw in young people throughout the world all reading the same book, Not Norman: A Goldfish Story by Kelly Bennett.  The Libraries will offer programs to promote early literacy, showcase the importance of reading together and improve the number of youth that do not currently have a library card.

Most libraries will offer up opportunities on October 22nd for kids to read Not Norman: A Goldfish Story out loud.  With the Super Bowl 50’s The Re(a)d Zone, all kids will have an opportunity participate in the attempt to break the world record for the world’s largest shared reading experience and win a copy of Not Norman: A Goldfish Story to build their home library. The emphasis will be getting the book into the hands of those who are less likely to have a book at home.

“Family and early literacy continues to be a focus for us,” said Anne-Marie Despain, SMCL Director. “We continue to seek partnerships that emphasize and facilitate reading together in fun ways.”

“This annual reading marathon allows us to engage our entire community to tackle the problem of low literacy with a team approach,” said San Francisco City Librarian Luis Herrera, “Together we can make a difference in so many lives.”

The 11 Bay Area library systems participating are: San Francisco Public Library, San Mateo County Library, Santa Clara County Library, San Jose Public Library, Burlingame Library, San Bruno Library, Daly City Library, Menlo Park Library, San Mateo City Library, Redwood City Library and South San Francisco Public Library. Additionally, there are important partners helping to promote this special day.  The Re(a)d Zone and Bay Area Early Literacy Initiative along with the Pacific Library Partnership all have offered support to engage as many families as possible in the Read for the Record Together events.

Libraries are hosting a variety of programming, including read-aloud programs, book giveaways, craft projects and library card sign-ups.  Much of the programming will focus on schools where students are reading below grade levels and communities where residents are not using library services currently.

For more information on the Read for the Record program, see http://www.jstart.org/campaigns/read-for-the-record.

For each participating library’s programming, see:

San Francisco Public Library (Schedule of Events attached)

San Mateo County Library

Santa Clara County Library

San Jose Public Library

Burlingame Public Library

San Bruno Public Library

Daly City Public Library

Menlo Park Library

San Mateo City Library

Redwood City Library

South San Francisco Public Library