Make your visit to the library the best it can be! Here’s a handy checklist for class visits from Middle and High Schools to the Main Library:
- Make an appointment with the Teen Librarian Team 3-4 weeks before your visit by phoning: (415) 437-4857 or emailing: email@example.com. At this time, the librarian will be happy to discuss class size, subjects your students may be researching, and the duration of your visit (generally one hour to one and a half hours is recommended).
- After you discuss your assignment with the Teen Librarian, you may want to email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org preferably one week in advance of your visit.
- Please remind your students to bring their library cards. For those who don’t have cards, you can obtain application forms from any SF Public Library or at our website http://sfpl.org/services/librarycard.htm. Fill out and return the completed applications to the Teen Librarian at least 2 weeks prior to the visit. This will ensure that new library cards will be ready for your students when you arrive.
- Before your class visit, you are welcome to become familiar with our online catalog system and any relevant databases. (Training classes are available - call 557-4400 or visit our website http://sfpl.org).
- Our Magazines and Newspapers Center is a great resource. If you plan to use periodicals and newspapers as part of your assignment, please contact the 5th Floor Magazines and Newspapers Center at 557-4414 for an appointment to familiarize yourself with the Center’s layout and equipment. We recommend that you bring any adults who will be accompanying the class on the day of the visit for this training too.
- If you will be using the resources of several departments, please remember to check in at the department’s reference desk when your class arrives. The department may have gathered materials together for all your students to use.
- Remind students to bring their assignment sheets and $$ for copying materials The cost of a blackand white photocopy is 10 cents per page with a copy card. A copy card with a minimum value of $1.00 can be purchased at the library. Printing from computers is 10 cents per page for black & white and 40 cents per page for color.