Books & Readers: Welcome Back
During our six week Fine Forgiveness program (Jan. 3 – Feb. 14) we welcomed back thousands of patrons and even more overdue items to the San Francisco Public Library. It was by and large the most successful fine amnesty in recent history, and we are overjoyed to reconnect with you. Visit the Main Atrium to view an exhibit of the most overdue books returned during the fine forgiveness program, including a collection of short stories titled 40 Minutes Late, that was 100 years past due.
We hope you enjoy the many patron privileges that come with being a renewed SFPL card carrier: borrow from more than 3 million books, access more than 600,000 eBook titles, and continue visiting your neighborhood branch and the Main for art exhibits, musical performances, craft workshops, author talks, homework help, wellness classes and so much more. Don’t forget to visit us online for access to digital resources such as media streaming, language learning, free access to newspapers and magazines and browse our stellar photo archives, all at sfpl.org.
Fine Forgiveness Press Releases
Recovering the Classics Partnership
SFPL partnered with Recovering the Classics on the artwork for the Fine Forgiveness campaign. Recovering the Classics, part of the Creative Action Network, is a crowdsourced collection of original book covers for great works of literature in the public domain.
Fine Forgiveness in the News
- Nearly 700,000 books returned to SF Public Library during ‘fine amnesty’ month SF Examiner
- Almost 700,000 Items Were Returned To The Library During Fine Forgiveness Period SFist
- Library fine amnesty lets laggards turn over a new leaf SFGate
- Century-Old Books, Overdue Inheritances, And More Tales From The SF Library's Fine Forgiveness Drive Hoodline
- Library Book a Century Overdue Returned in San Francisco ABC News
- Library Book Finally Returned 100 Years Later In San Francisco Huffington Post
- SF library book returned, 100 years overdue SF Gate
- Overdue San Francisco Library Book Returned After 100 Years7x7
- Library amnesty for overdue books in effect SF Examiner
- SF Public Library To Forgive All Fines Through Valentine's Day Hoodline
- San Francisco Library Offering Amnesty for Patrons with Book Fines ABC News
- SF Library Won’t Throw Book at Patrons Who Owe Fines San Francisco Chronicle
- S.F. Libraries Offer Amnesty for Overdue Fines SF Weekly
- The Library Forgives You, 55K Patrons With Overdue Fines, During Amnesty Period Next Month SFist
- More SFPL in the News