All Are Welcome
Residents of California may receive a free library card. A San Francisco Public Library card opens the door to a world of information and entertainment. In addition to borrowing books, LPs, and museum passes, your card allows you to download digital media, use electronic databases, take online classes, use library computers, and more.
Fill out an Application
** Due to library closures and limited staffing, we are only offering temporary digital access cards to San Francisco residents, City and County of San Francisco employees and students attending City College of San Francisco (CCSF) and San Francisco State University (SFSU). City and County government employees, CCSF and SFSU students should register with their work or school email. Digital access is valid through January 31, 2021. Apply online now and you will receive a response within 48 hours. **
Apply online (or fill out and print the paper application) and then present a valid photo ID in-person at any SFPL location to receive a library card. The Library does not issue library cards online; you must visit in-person.
- People ages 13-18 can show valid ID or have a parent / guardian sign.
- A parent / guardian must sign for anyone under age 13.
- San Francisco residents who have a disability or long-term medical condition that prevents you from visiting the Library may use Home Library Services.
- Educators living or working in SF may apply for a Teacher Card.
- SFPL also offers Welcome, Digital Access, and Visitor cards for those who don't have a CA ID. Visitor cards cost $10 and are valid for 3 months.
Your library card and PIN are used to access your online account at sflib1.sfpl.org/patroninfo.
You may wish to register for a BiblioCommons account as well, and use it to track your checkouts and more. If you are logging into this account for the first time, you will need to enter your 14-digit card number (username) and PIN/password (password).
Resetting Your PIN or Password
If you have forgotten your PIN/password or need to reset it, use our PIN/password reset tool at sflib1.sfpl.org/pinreset.