Journalist and author Anthony Stanford and Fresh! White a racial and gender justice advocate explore the various reasons for the Black Church's aversion and the general black cultural inflexibility towards homosexuality, same-sex marriage and acceptance of the LGBTQ community. The panelists connect black cultural resistance towards homosexuality to politics, faith and fear. They follow the trail of faith-based funding to the pulpit of black mega-churches and spotlights how members of the black clergy have sacrificed black LGBTQ community for personal and political advancement.
These cultural events are free and open to the public. Share your own thoughts on race at Race in the Public Eye.
See Queerest.Library.Ever. sfpl.org/hormelat20 for related online exhibits, archives, and resources.
- Harlem of the West SF Project
- Saturday, April 29, 2017, 3:00 pm
- Chuck Forester Author Reading
- Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, LGBTQIA Center
- A Litany For Survival:
- Saturday, May 13, 2017, 2:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B